58.36 percent of Guatemala’s electricity comes from renewable sources

In 2016, 58.36 percent of the energy in Guatemala came from renewable sources. The remaining 41.64 percent was generated using coal, fuel oil, and other non-renewable resources. This means that 6 of every 10 MW generated in the country came from hydroelectricity of biomass.

“By 2027, we expect that 80 percent of the energy generated in Guatemala comes from renewable sources,” stated Minister of Energy and Mines Luis Chang, while presenting the Statistics Report of the General Directorate of Energy.

During the year, power generation using fuel oil fell by 50 percent, while wind power doubled and solar increased by 30 percent during the same period.

Several power plants were installed in 2016 – both renewable and non-renewable – for a total installed capacity of 440.56 MW. 59.95 percent of this amount corresponds to hydroelectric power plants, and 40.05 percent comes from power stations that use thermal processes to produce steam.

Unlike in 2015, last year there were no new wind farms, solar power plants of biomass plants opened.

The electric energy subsector recorded a 4.6 percent rise in 2016, as compared to the previous year.

Load More Related Articles
Load More By Energía 16
Load More In Latin America

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also

Vestas: A greener economy

By Juan Emilio Ballesteros 08/03/2018 Despite strong competition in the sector, Vestas ear…