Saudi Arabia says countries need to cooperate on shipping lanes in the Persian Gulf open

Saudi Arabia

Saudi Arabian Energy Minister Khalid al-Falih said on Monday that countries need to cooperate on keeping shipping lanes open for oil and other energy supplies after last week’s tanker attacks in the Middle East to ensure stable supplies.

Following the attacks on two oil tankers last week in the Middle East, the minister has not provided details on how the country will guarantee oil transport, coming from its own nation as well as its allies, through the Persian Gulf.

“We’ll protect our own infrastructure, our own territories and we are doing that despite the attempts to target some of our facilities,” Falih told reporters in Tokyo.

He added that maritime shipping lanes must be collectively protected. We believe that’s happening, but we need to make sure the rest of the world pays attention,” he added.

Iran blamed for attacks on oil tankers

The governments of Riyadh, the United States, and United Kingdom agreed on Sunday that the Iranian regime planned the attacks on two oil tankers in the Strait of Oman.

Meanwhile, Iran categorically denied any role in the events.

The attacks occurred as Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe was visiting Tehran seeking to reduce commercial tensions with the United States.

Saudi crown prince Mohammed bin Salman blamed Iran for these attacks. He argued that the Iranian regime did not respect the presence of Japan’s Prime Minister as a guest in Tehran and that it responded to his efforts by attacking two oil tankers, one of them Japanese.

The governments of Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates and the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) called to protect the energy supplies that transit through the Persian Gulf.

On Saturday, Saudi authorities requested decisive answers from the international community in light of Iran’s threats, which they qualify as acts of terrorism.

For his part, U.S. President Donald Trump assured on Friday “Iran did it”. Based on a video disclosed by the Pentagon that shows an Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps fast boat removing a dud mine.

Previously, the Iranian government had threatened to close the strategic Strait of Ormuz in case of a confrontation with the United States.

"They're not going to be closing it. It's not going to be closed, it's not going to be closed for long and they know it. They've been told in very strong terms," the U.S. President said.

For more information, check Energía16

See also: Attacks against oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman increase tensions in the region

Load More Related Articles
Load More By Energía 16
Load More In News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also

Mayor Colau says vehicle toll will reduce pollution in Barcelona

The mayor of Barcelona Ada Colau said on Wednesday that the City Hall is exploring the pos…